Sunday, March 17, 2024

Duracraft VS-312 Bandsaw restoration (3): Drive sprocket and belt installed

 On the Duracraft bandsaw... after checking the alignment of the wheels, I've found that the wheel bearing have about 1mm of side to side play.  I've ordered shim washers that I'm going to use to get the play down to 0.1 mm or so.  

The bandsaw drive belts came in today.  I set up the motor driving the bandsaw drive wheel.  See photo below. 



I pulled the drive sprocket out quite a bit to get proper belt alignment.  I may make a spacer later to get repeatable axial placement of the sprocket. 


The video below shows the operation of motor, pulley and drive wheel. Next task is to install shim washers to reduce axial play.




3 comments:

  1. Just got one of these the other day, still have to put a blade on it. Hear its recommended to replace barrings on the left and top wheel if they dont spin freely with a light push of the fingers.. as mine do not. I dont expect replacing them would be a big deal just need to find the time to locate replacement barrings.Yours looks like it runs real smooth, nice restoration sofar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bearings of the Duracraft VS-312 that I'm working on here are bushings cast into the plastic wheels, so I don't see how they could be easily replaced. Do you have the same model bandsaw? I believe you could find some wheels from a Craftsman 3 wheel bandsaw and install good ball bearings in them and use them on the Duracraft saw... otherwise you'd be forces to fabricate new wheels out of wood or some other material. Maybe new wheels could be 3D printed.

      Delete