Saturday, March 16, 2024

Duracraft VS-312 Bandsaw restoration (2): Drive sprocket

 In order to replace the motor drive gear on the Duracraft bandsaw I found a similar part on thingiverse.com for a Craftsman 10" bandsaw. After printing out the thingiverse.com part, it was totally identical to the existing Duracraft part, except Craftsman part mounted on a 0.5" shaft, while the Duracraft part mounted on a 10.0 mm shaft.  

I had to import the thingiverse part .stl file into Fusion 360 and modify its inner diameter (ID) to have an interference fit on the a 10 mm shaft.  Below is the Fusion 360 drawing.  The thingiverse part is in green and my modification for the 10 mm shaft size is in grey.



Making the part was more complicated than I thought it would be.  The accuracy of the hole size of my 3D printer is off, even though the precision is pretty good. I printed a series of test pieces to find the right compensated hole diameter to use.  Printing 4 different diameters at a time I was trying to bracket the proper diameter to use, but it took me four 3D printing runs to find the proper diameter to use.  The stack of test pieces is shown below. 


Eventually I printed out a gear that had a tight fit to the motor shaft. 


The next task is to carefully check the alignment of the wheels and drive gear.  Then if everything is ok, I'll install the belt and check that the motor drives the drive wheel correctly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment