Thursday, January 12, 2023

Flying PigRig (9) -- Trying to make a QSO

I don't have an antenna, so I used a fishing rod to throw some line over the house and used that to drag a random wire.  Borrowing from KA5VZE, I put an 9:1 "un-un" at the feedpoint and used a 4-State QRP tuner to match to the random wire.  The match seems to work fairly well.  

Here's a photo of my setup.  Click on the photo for full size: 


The "Morris" key is on the right,  PigRig is center, and QRP tuner on the left. 

I was frustrated for a while because there was no offset from transmit to receive.  If someone transmitted on the  PigRig frequency of 7030.7 kHz,  the tone was so low it was difficult to discern.  I followed the discussion in the PigRig instructions and substituted a 15 pF capacitor for the 12 pF cap in the oscillator offset circuit.  This didn't help.  Probing around in the circuit I found that the offset suddenly started working.  There was a cold solder joint in the circuit.  I fixed that, and now, with TX adjusted for 7030.69 kHz, the RX frequency is 7031.20 kHz,  so the offset is about 500 Hz.  That should work well.  

I have been CQ a couple of night now, but no QSO's yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment