Wednesday, April 17, 2024

ESP-32 data logger (1): micro SD logger design

 I am backing away from the battery charger project because I need to complete another project to continue.  So far I've been using a pencil and paper to record battery charge and discharge curves.  I am going to automate that data acquisition process using a ESP-32 microcomputer.  The first attempt will be to store the data to a micro SD card.  The second version will be to use WIFI to store the data on thingspeak.com. 

I have an ESP-32 development board that I bought off of amazon.com. (link).  It's a pretty sophisticated MCU.  I program it using the Arduino IDE.  The development package is 38 pins.  A diagram of the different pin functions is shown below



The test circuit for the micro SD logger is shown below.  The circuit will be powered through the development board USB port.  I order the micro SD card module from amazon.com (link).

click to enlarge

The circuit is wired up on solderless breadboard as shown below, The ESP32 dev board is on the left and the micro SD reader is on the right.   The first experiment will be to simply write some data into the micro SD card and read it back. 





No comments:

Post a Comment