Thursday, April 4, 2024

Craftsman 10" bandsaw 113.244513 (4): Lower blade guide redesign (results)

This lower guide replaces Craftsman Part 69174  in the 113.24413 model bandsaw. 

I did the lower blade guide redesign in Fusion 360.  See the diagram below with changes noted.  I increased the material volume around the blade guide set screws and added holes normal to the layer plans to accommodate 2mm reinforcing screws. The holes for the thrust bearing axle were enlarged to get a sliding fit on the axle, and 3mm set screws were added to hold the axle fixed.

click to enlarge



I 3D printed the guide out, using black PLA, 100% fill.  Because of the black plastic of the guide it is hard to photograph. The photos below show the guide with hardware installed from a front and rear view.  

click to enlarge


Some notes: 
  • I have not used the Cura slicer software to calibrate hole sizes while printing. All holes in the guide were slightly small. I spent a lot of time drilling out holes, experimenting on test pieces to check for correct size. 
  • I was not able to use a tap well for the 10-24 saw guide set screw holes.  The tap bottomed out against the bottom of the blade guide holes. Because of this the set screws tend to jam as they get near the blade guide. That makes it difficult to feel when the set screws are solidly against the guides.
  • The 2 mm tread inserts I used from the bottom for the reinforcement screws were a little tricky to install. I put them on the tip of a soldering iron and melted them into the guide body.  I had to use a screw from the bottom side  to clean out the melted plastic from the from the holes, then install the reinforcement screws from the top side. 
  • I didn't use a tap on the thrust bearing axle set screws, but rather let the screws cut their on threads in the plastic.  I don't think this will be a problem as the screws don't have to be torqued very much to prevent lateral movement of the axle.   Next time I'll use thread inserts to get  better seating on the screws. 
I will be installing the guide in the saw today and testing how well it works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment