Saturday, March 30, 2024

Duracraft VS-312 Bandsaw restoration (7): operational test of new 3D printed gear

I modified the Fusion 3D model of the motor gear from 10.15mm ID to 10.12mm ID.  I used PLA material for the gear, 100% fill. It took 2 hours to fabricate.

To mount the gear onto the motor shaft, I first used the old gear to find the best position of the gear on the shaft. If the gear is too far up the motor shaft, the belt will wander off the wheel,  if the gear is too far down the motor shaft, the belt will get frayed on its outer edge by the outer lip of the gear.  When I found the optimal placement of the gear, I marked a short stick with a pencil to mark the height of the top of the gear from the saw case. 


To install the new gear, I first boiled some water in a tea kettle, poured it into a disposable cup, then dropped the new part into the hot water to let it expand.  After a few minutes I took the hot gear and tapped in down on to the motor shaft until it lined up with the mark for the proper height.  I had no trouble moving the gear down the motor shaft, it went down with just light tapping with a wooden mallet.


The saw was very finicky to get set up.  The three tension controls interact quite a bit.  After about an hour of getting familiar, I finally got the saw running.  I adjusted the blade position so that the blade saw teeth were slightly off the tires: 

The lower and upper blade guides are definitely worn out,  I'll cover rebuilding the guides later. 

Below is a video of a test cut with the saw:








No comments:

Post a Comment